- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Rosewater
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring
- For once cooked:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup Cornstarch
1. Prepare a 9×9 pan by lining it with cling wrap and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside for now.2. Place the sugar, lemon juice, and 1 1/2 cups of the water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves and the mixture boils.3. Once at boiling point reduce the heat and simmer gently without stirring until the mixture reaches soft boiling point (240F on a Thermometer). Remove from the heat.
4. In a second large Saucepan over a medium heat stir together 1 cup of Cornstarch and the Cream of Taratar and gradually stir in the remaining 3 cups of Water
until no lumps remain.
5. Stir continually until the mixture becomes a thick gluey paste.
6. Slowly add the Sugar, Water and Lemon mixture into the Cornstarch mixture siring continually.
7. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring regularly for about 1 hour until the mixture has become a pale golden color.
8. Stir in the Rose Water and gel color then pour into your prepared 9inch pan.
9. Cool and let stand uncovered overnight to set.
The following day:
10. Sift together the confectioners sugar and 1/4 cup of cornstarch over a flat surface.
11. Turn the Turkish delight out onto a board and cut to desired size.
12. Roll the pieces in the Sugar mixture until well coated.
13. Store in an airtight container.
Alternatively omit the Sugar mixture and dip in melted chocolate leaving on wax paper to dry.